Saturday, May 17, 2014

Return to Form

I gave myself a solid week off after the beast that was the Bear Mountain 50 miler. In the few days after the race my body began it's recovery process and the blistered centers of the balls of my feet healed up.

Mother's Day the weather proved too damn nice not to warrant a run, so with a cautious few hundred yards, I knew my body was ready to go. I went on to log 5 sub eight miles, the final mile clocking in at 6:15. Yep, it was all good in the hood.

The rest of the week provided plenty of opportunities for some decent length runs. Wednesday night's run was just a spectacle of awesome. With the leaves starting to bloom and the scent of spring finally making it's way into the air, it was one of the most welcome times of the year. It reminded me of being a kid, ready to go outside and turn the day into anything you wanted.

The ascent up Drummer was beautiful, so much so that I ran the upper trails to the top in a fashion that I was able to summit twice. Weaving through the single track, greenery was taking hold of the old, brown leaf ground. Streams had backed off their early spring levels and made the crossings a little less wet. 10 miles later, it was time well spent in the woods.

The trails are getting good out there... really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment